Bachelor of Science
Bachelor of Science
Major in Human Experience Design and Interaction
BS students focus on instructional design, video game design, product design, or multimedia design, all with an emphasis on making the design human-centered with design thinking principles. With a degree in Human Experience Design and Interaction (HEDI), you can also launch a career in User Experience and User Interface design, Product Management, Learning Design, Game Design, or Data Analysis, just to name a few. Important to any of these career options is good business sense, like project management and entrepreneurship principles.
The Bachelor of Science degree is available online through Utah State University.
Depending on your path and emphasis areas, a HEDI degree may lead you to many different career fields. According to the U.S. Department of Labor, the career fields associated with this degree are within the top three fastest growth rate categories for projected growth rates in Utah from 2014 to 2024:
- Instructional designer (consider emphasizing in technical communication, multimedia, and/or culturally responsive design)
- Web developer (consider emphasizing in game studies and/or multimedia)
- Training and development manager (consider emphasizing in new venture management and/or marketing)
- Project manager (consider emphasizing in new venture management and/or marketing)
- Program manager (consider emphasizing in new venture management and/or marketing)
- Product manager (consider emphasizing in product development, new venture management, and/or marketing)
- Multimedia and eLearning developer consider (consider emphasizing in multimedia and/or game studies)
- UX/UI designers (consider emphasizing in multimedia and/or culturally responsive design)
- Game designers (consider emphasizing in game studies and/or multimedia)
- Graphic designer (consider emphasizing in multimedia and/or culturally responsive design)
- Data analyst (consider emphasizing in marketing and/or culturally responsive design)
- Technical writer (consider emphasizing in technical communication and/or multimedia)
- Content developer (consider emphasizing in technical communication and/or multimedia)
Note: You would be qualified for most all of these careers with any emphasis areas you choose. The emphasis areas listed with each career option is only suggestive. Also, this list is not comprehensive by any means; there are many more career options available to you.
Emphasis Areas for this Degree
Students for the Major in Human Experience Design and Interaction choose two areas of emphasis. See the Course planning sheet to see the course listings for the follow Emphasis Areas.
- Culturally Responsive Design
- New Venture Management
- Game Studies
- Product Development
- Technical Communication
Before you declare a major in Human Experience Design and Interaction, please make sure you meet the following admission requirements:
- 2.0 GPA or greater
- The equivalent of an associate’s degree (60 accepted credit hours of general studies or a locked-in associates degree). The associates degree can come from many paths, including from Utah State University Extension or one of the technical colleges paths. For advisement questions, please email Michelle Wilson (email@example.com), the program advisor. She can work with students on an interdisciplinary studies degree while we are awaiting degree approval.