School Library Media Administration Minor or Endorsement
What the Degree is About
The School Library Media Administration (SLMA) program at Utah State University (USU) is designed for those interested in working in a school library media center, public or private. The program includes all the course work and practicum experiences necessary to apply for the Utah Library Media K-12 Endorsement. Those seeking the Utah Endorsement must currently have, or be working toward, a current and valid Utah teaching license.
This program is offered through the Department of Instructional Technology and Learning Sciences (ITLS) in the Emma Eccles Jones College of Education and Human Services (CEHS). Those interested in taking the SLMA courses can be working on
- an Utah Library Media K-12 Endorsement only
- an USU undergraduate minor
- an emphasis in the InsT Master of Education (MEd) degree
- professional development - not seeking endorsement or degree
- personal interest as a lifelong learner
The program is designed for students to begin the course work fall semester. The SLMA program requires a minimum of eighteen (18) semester credit hours. A minimum of fifteen (15) of the eighteen (18) total credit hours must be taken through USU. All coursework must be completed within six (6) years of the date of acceptance.
The applicant must have a current and valid Utah Educator License with an Elementary or Secondary area of concentration.
Completion of the course work does not automatically guarantee a recommendation by the INST department for state endorsement in library media K-12. A recommendation for endorsement will be made when the student has
- completed all course work including the practicum (INST 6090)
- completed a minimum of 15 credits through USU
- demonstrated competency in course work
- demonstrated the potential to work effectively with both students and teachers
- a grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher
- the approval of the practicum advisor
- completed the appropriate forms and submitted the required fees
You must first be admitted as a student to USU. If you have not been admitted, start with the USU online application process.
Once you are admitted, if you are...
- Doing the endorsement only, fill out the SLMA online information form. Then you will work with your local USU Regional Campus to register for courses each semester.
- Working on a minor in the teacher education program, fill out the SLMA online information form. Then you will work with your advisor to schedule and register for courses each semester.
- Using the coursework for the emphasis in the InsT MEd degree, you must first apply to the USU School of Graduate Studies and be accepted into the InsT MEd program. You may start this process using their online application. An advisor will be assigned to you from the InsT department. You will work with the advisor for program schedules and concerns, but you will work with your local USU Regional Campus to register for courses each semester.
- Taking any of the courses for professional development or personal interest, fill out the SLMA online information form. Then you will work with your local USU Regional Campus to register for courses each semester.
- How to Apply
- SLMA Planning Sheet
- SLMA Practicum Handbook
- ALA/AASL SLMA Preparation Guide
- Regional Campuses
- USU Distance Education
- Still have Questions?