Skip to main content

How to Apply

usu old main

Photo courtesy: Katarina Pantic

ITLS Department Deadlines

Graduate Degree
Application Deadline
Start Semester
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) January 6th Fall
Master of Education (MEd) April 1st Fall
Master of Learning Technologies & Instructional Design (MLTID) April 1st Fall
Master of Science-(MS) April 1st Fall

Applications for admission that are received after the deadline may be reviewed, but qualified students will be accepted on a space-available basis only.

The ITLS department accepts students once a year for the Fall semester as a cohort. You may petition the department to be accepted out of sequence, but it is not recommended. Students accepted out of sequence will only be allowed to take electives until they can join a cohort the following Fall semester. For more information please contact the ITLS department 435-797-2694.

Admission Requirements

Below is a list of requirements for admission to ITLS program. For a detailed list on USU requirements and application procedure, please visit the School of Graduate Studies website

  • Have the requisite degree for your intended program by the time you are matriculated
  • 3.0 or higher GPA on your last 60 semester or 90 quarter credits
  • Score at or above the 40th percentile on appropriate admissions test
      • Doctorate of Philosophy - GRE only (*There is no specific code for ITLS department. Use USU code only: 4857 (GRE) to send your results.)
      • Master of Education, Master of Learning Technologies and Instructional Design & Master of Science - either GRE or Millers Analogies Test (MAT)
  • International Students need to submit a TOEFL or IELTS score:
    • If you have an undergraduate degree, with attendance of at least two years, from an institution in one of these countries in which English is the language of instruction (United States, Canada (except Quebec), United Kingdom, New Zealand or Australia), you will not be required to provide additional evidence of English proficiency. If not, you will need:
    • Passing TOEFL 
      • Internet based - 79
      • Computer based - 214
      • Paper based - 550
    • or passing IELTS
      • Overall score of 6 and a minimum of 5 on each subscale.
  • Three satisfactory letters of recommendation
  • A writing sample
  • Personal Statement/Letter of intent- included in the application
      • Applications through the graduate school require an essay, asking you to "write a statement of your specific reasons for wanting to attend graduate school. Describe your experience and qualifications for advanced study."
      • This is your opportunity to tell the faculty admissions committee why you wish to seek this degree at USU, and about your career plans. Tell us how your background and experiences uniquely qualify you for graduate study. For doctoral students, it is recommended you describe the research or inquiry areas that you are interested in.To apply for a graduate degree in the Instructional Technology and Learning Sciences (ITLS) department at USU, you must apply through the School of Graduate Studies. Applicants are responsible to make sure that all application materials are sent and received prior to the deadline. When all application material is submitted, your application will be forwarded to the ITLS department for a review.Visit the School of Graduate Studies website for a detailed list of application requirements.